Thursday, January 21, 2010

Zenobia and Sarah

The character of Zenobia reminds me a bit of myself: we're both strong and independent women who want other people's approval and want to fit in but always seem to stick out a little. We separate who we really are from the person who we pretend to be (Zenobia does this more than I do, don't worry). We also both like to be in control of our lives and don't really like it when other people interfere: friends, men, or others. We both are single and sometimes have problems with that but ultimately, we both hope that we will turn out okay without that certain someone by our side.
I believe that Zenobia really is a prototype for a 21st century woman, despite what others may say. The characteristics listed above are not at what men seemed to want in a woman back in the 19th century. Although many women today are extremely spirited and successful, we are not always strong all the time; many of us do have a weak spot and a dark place. It is the way in which we handle our weaknesses or dark patches that define us and separate our individual selves from others.
The ending of "The Blithedale Romance" really did baffle me and was extremely frustrating. Zenobia's suicide was really disturbing for me...obviously I am not going to off myself like she did just because a Hollingsworth decided he doesn't love me, but our extreme similarities and Zenobia's tragic end really did bother me. The way Coverdale also handled it bugged me as well: instead of writing her that ballad, her dying wish, he goes on about his own life and how he could have prevented her death (though he does not directly say that) by expressing his interest in Priscilla. Zenobia never seems to get redemption from her interesting but hard and tragic life, not even in death and I think that is what frightens me so much; I want to eventually get redemption and be 100% complete in life. But, deep down, I know that I will, I just do, and that is what separates me from her.
After I got over the initial shock that the character who was most like myself killed herself, the ending also was a little therapeutic because I know that I am stronger than Zenobia. I will never do what she did. I know that life is hard and death is easy and no matter how hard my life can get, I will never give up on it…it’s my journey and it is mine. Zenobia seems to be smart and wise but because she gave up on something that is so beautiful and so awesome, she is naive and young. She is tragic and she didn’t realize that you don’t need that “thing” (Hollingsworth, money, etc) to be happy or get what you want out of life. Though on some days I don’t even believe that statement, I do believe it on other days which separates me from her. So I guess that I really am not like Zenobia at all. I mean, on the surface we seem to have similar characteristics but our core values differ and that is why we are different. I believe in my abilities and myself and she did not. That is why I will succeed and get what I want out of my life. Because Zenobia did not believe that she could live without love and because she did not believe in herself, she failed while I choose to live.

3 comments:

  1. The parallels you draw between yourself and Zenobia are interesting, Sarah. I think you're right in saying that she believes that one "thing" will make her life complete but that that's not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post has some very deep thoughts and I love the blatant honesty. I admire the bravery in your open comparison between Zenobia and yourself. I also agree with your analyses of Zenobia and the women of this age. She would have definitely fit in better with the 21st century. I can easily see some similarities between myself (and most woman today) and the character of Zenobia. Do you think that most women of today's society would enjoy being around Zenobia or do you think that some people would think of her as overly confident? I could see her coming across a little prideful. What do you think?
    Amanda Renslow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can respect your honesty here. I think a big difference to keep in mind is also the value set of the time. At the time, it was a perfectly acceptable and even expected value that a woman's life would be tragically void and empty if she could not find a man to wed. The idea that a woman would find no meaning in life after a rejection, especially an older (mid to late 20s, by the standards of the time) woman, is not all that shocking, sadly.

    I am hardly suggesting this accounts for the difference. Quite the contrary, in fact. I just think it highlights more the tragedy of the time as opposed to Zenobia's own weakness. She felt emotionally vulnerable, and society's message to her is that she was worthless because she was rejected.

    I think this again highlights one of the messages of the story, being cautious of over-reliance on others for self validation. We see this not only in Zenobia, but obviously in Priscilla, Coverdale, and especially in Hollingsworth, even if all the characters express this reliance in different manners. Perhaps that is the greatest difference between this age and that, that women are no longer taught that their sense of validation MUST come from someone else. I don't know though, sometimes I can be a bit naive in such things. Perhaps I just dream such has changed...

    Steven D

    ReplyDelete